The 400-foot (120 m), double-decker Brighton Beach Pavilion was also built nearby. Langford, to elevate and move the building as a whole, 495 feet further inland.
The park was shut down in 1919 after it burned down.
Brighton Beach was located on sandy terrain, and before development in the 1860s, had mostly farms.
The area was part of the "Middle Division" of the town of Gravesend, which was the sole English settlement out of the original six towns in Kings County.
The opening of the BMT Brighton Line had conflicting consequences: although it made Brighton Beach viable as a year-round community, it was now much more feasible for visitors to return home in the evening rather than spend the night.
This led to the closure of the Brighton Beach Hotel in 1924.