It is 115 kilometres (71 miles) south of the national capital of Ottawa.It is one of Ontario's oldest European-Canadian communities and is named after the British general Sir Isaac Brock.While the explorer Cartier recorded about 200 words in their Laurentian language and the names of two villages, the people had disappeared from the area by the late 16th century.
Although it is the seat of the United Counties of Leeds and Grenville, it is politically independent of the county.
In many areas traders and merchants, especially in the coastal cities or the northern border regions, had stronger business ties and allegiance to the Crown than did the frontiersmen of the interior.
During the 6-year war, which ended with the capitulation of the British in 1782, many colonists who remained loyal to the crown were frequently subject to harsh reprisals and unfair dispossession of their property by their countrymen.
Brockville became Ontario's first incorporated self-governing town on January 28, 1832, two years before the town of Toronto.
By means of the 'Brockville Police Act' passed by the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada, Brockville was granted the right to govern its own affairs, pass laws, and raise taxes.